Living With Retinal Vein Occlusion (RVO)
Meet Donna, who explains her experience with RVO treatments and anti-VEGF injections for RVO
Symptoms may include:1, 2
RVO patients most commonly have painless vision loss, distorted vision or floaters. Although the majority of RVO occurs in one eye, 5%-6% of branch retinal vein occlusions (BRVO) and 10% of central retinal vein occlusions (CRVO) affects both eyes. 3, 4 Some RVO patients will need treatment while others will only need to be monitored.6 Your eye doctor will closely monitor you for macular edema (fluid buildup and swelling of the center part of the retina) and glaucoma (increased eye pressure from fluid buildup)7, 9. As part of the team approach to maintaining vision, your primary care and eye physicians will communicate with each other. Getting a complete physical and bloodwork with your primary care provider can help detect any risk factors.1 Healthy lifestyle changes, including regular exercise, smoking cessation, low-fat diet, and maintaining an ideal weight can also be protective.2
- Flaxel CJ, Adelman RA, Bailey ST, et al. Retinal Vein Occlusion Preferred Practice Pattern®. Ophthalmology. 2020;127:P288-P320.
- Buehl W, Sacu S, Schmidt-Erfurth U. Retinal Vein Occlusions. Dev Ophthalmol. 2010;46:54-72.
- Rogers SL, McIntosh RL, Lim L, et al. Natural history of branch retinal vein occlusion: an evidence-based systematic review. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:1094-1101.e5.
- Ford JA, Clar C, Lois N, et al. Treatments for macular oedema following central retinal vein occlusion: systematic review. BMJ Open. 2014;4:e004120.
- Rehak J, Rehak M. Branch retinal vein occlusion: Pathogenesis visual prognosis and treatment modality. CurrEye Res 2008;33:111-131. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18293182/.
- WillsEye Hospital. Central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO). https://www.willseye.org/central-retinal-vein-occlusion-crvo/.
- American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS). Branch retinal vein occlusion. 2020. https://www.asrs.org/patients/retinal-diseases/24/branch-retinal-vein-occlusion.
- Morris R, Retinal vein occlusion. Kerala J Ophthalmol. 2016;28:4-13.
- ASRS. Glossary. https://www.asrs.org/patients/retinal-diseases/10/glossary/#Glaucoma.
All URLs accessed 3/1/2022.